Tuesday, July 29, 2003

Convicted liar,
after TIA, whiffs again.
That's strike two, Poiney!


When I read this article on the train this morning, I knew everyone and their mother's uncle's brother would be blogging it. But how can you resist? Talk about an insane idea. As I wrote in an e-mail to some friends, somebody oughta just put Mr. Poindexter out to pasture.

Ho! Time out! New development! I just went to the Times' site to get the URL for the story "Pentagon Prepares a Futures Market on Terror Attacks," and I find a brand-new article titled "Pentagon Abandons Plan for Futures Market on Terror" -- seems that somebody thought better!

Here are the most pertinent grafs (nos. 2 and 3):

"Deputy Defense Secretary Paul D. Wolfowitz said today that the program would be dropped. And he asserted that he first learned of the Pentagon-sanctioned futures market through news accounts today after two Democratic senators disclosed the concept on Monday."

" 'I share your shock at this kind of program,' Mr. Wolfowitz told the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. 'We'll find out about it, but it is being terminated.' "

Gee. I hope the Admiral has four stomachs.