Wednesday, February 11, 2004

Department of Changing the World

Ashoka is an innovative nonprofit organization that "searches the world for social entrepreneurs—extraordinary individuals with unprecedented ideas for change in their communities" and gives those people funding to carry out their ideas.

I discovered Ashoka in the course of my (unsuccessful) job search of 2001–03, and this past fall I signed on to do a few Czech-to-English translations for them every once in a while, on a volunteer basis. (My Czechophile readers, by the way, may be interested to look into the projects of Ashoka fellows in the Czech Republic.)

Anyway, Ashoka just put a new book out, called How to Change the World: Social Entrepreneurs and the Power of New Ideas. I got a copy from my father, who happens to be an Ashoka supporter, and intend to read it sometime in the near future (probably once I get through with One Palestine, Complete).



So if you are one of those people who aim to make their mark on the world, why don't you jump over here and give the book a little look-see.