Friday, April 04, 2003

Guess we won't be goin' back there: "Times Square Arcade Is Closed by Police." Last March, I think it was, my stepmother, Kris, and my younger sister Katie visited us, for Katie's spring break, and Katie brought with her her friend Chelsea. One night we went to dump some tokens into the latest games at Broadway City Arcade, on the "new" 42nd Street. Last Friday night, a week ago as I write this, the NYPD shut the place down, "citing nine violent incidents that had occurred there recently. The arcade, which includes a nightclub, had six violations involving underage patrons, the police said."

Underage patrons is no big deal; I used to be one myself, back at Pinball Pete's in E.L. (no Website — only the one in Ann Arbor has one). But "On March 9, eight people were shot and two were stabbed at the arcade . . . In that incident, shots were fired at about 2:45 a.m. in a second-floor nightclub at the arcade, sending people stampeding toward the exits. The police recovered four knives and two box cutters at the arcade. The victims ranged in age from 17 to 25."